[OM] ( OM ) examination of transparencies of targets

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) examination of transparencies of targets
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 06:09:12 -0400
Brian asked about examining transparencies with a microscope.
Hi Brian,
I was doing the same thing a few months back. I borrowed a microscope from a friend at work. I asked around and got several offers. It seems lots of folks have microscopes hidden in closets that haven't seen the light of day for many years. Since I manage a bunch of engineers what they have in their closets may be atypical but try asking around.

However, I was disappointed with the microscope method. The microscope didn't really show me much more than I was already able to see with my film scanner. I assume that's because the on-film resolution even using slow (color) film and a good lens isn't all that much higher than the 2700 dpi of the scanner. I think that works out to about 50-55 lpmm.

I finally decided (after a posting by John Lind) to put the money toward a better projector lens. I figured if I can't see it with the projector it doesn't matter what the resolution is. John had recommended a Schneider Vario Prolux and I managed to snag a NIB one from the bay for about $70. With the Schneider lens I can see differences in test shots made with various lenses but for the most part they are not terribly significant. However, I have one inexpensive zoom which is clearly inferior to the other lenses. Probably fine for snapshots but you wouldn't want to use if for big enlargements.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA