RE: [OM] [OT surely]DVD success; digital versus film; "Office Space"

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT surely]DVD success; digital versus film; "Office Space"
From: julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:19:32 +0100 (BST)
Two things I hate about DVD:
1 you can't resume where you left off if you have more than one player.
2 The waste of time getting through the animated menus which the producers seem
to think are a good idea. Fine if you like them, but why the !*?!* can't I put
a disc in and press play and just get the movie (perhaps with the annoying
copyright and FBI rubbish that we all know about). Come to think if it, since
ignorance of the law is no defence, why do I need to have all that rubbish as
well? Why is 'skip' barred on most discs? Surely if I fast - forward or track -
skip this garbage, I can't even claim ignorance. What would I copy the damn
disc onto anyway? Why would I bother when there seem to be about a million
people in China who will copy it for me if that's what I want?

In true monty python style:
3. there are three things that really annoy me..
REGION CODING. There are even moves to make this legally enforceable.
Incredible. If I import a region 1 disc from region 1, then I have paid
royalties in region 1 at the correct rate for region 1. They are now trying to
make it illegal for me to watch this in region 2,  even though there is no
exclusion in the current law. Evidently I can't copy it or show it publicly
etc. etc., but come on. This is being requested by the DVD forum as
infringement of trademark, believe it or not.

Julian