Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners

Subject: Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:08:21 -0700
Try a sturdy table tripod. This is the Southwest. You can almost always find a convenient rock to put the camera on for a slow exposure before sunrise or after sunset.

Questions:

1. Is there a pro camera shop in Denver (or, second choice, Santa Fe) where I can purchase a brick of Provia or Velvia? Is it open on Sundays? (I'm getting tired of doing the "*please* hand-inspect my film" shtick with airport security, and post-9/11, I really don't want to raise *any* fuss if I can help it -- full-body cavity searches have never been a turn-on for me).

Don't know about local shops, but maybe contact your hotel to see whether they will hold mail till you arrive. Order from B&H to be shipped to your first hotel.

2. What's to do around Santa Fe? I've got the guidebooks, but I'd like recommendations from any and all who know of good photographic opportunities.

Definitely take a tour to a local pueblo or two and maybe an art studio tour.

3. North Rim or South Rim? The North's a much longer drive, but I'm also told it's far superior to the South Rim, with less tourists and better vistas. Is early November late enough in the year to get away from the hordes in the South, or should I just grit my teeth, get up at 4:00 A.M. in Flagstaff, and head to the North Rim for the sunrise?

You will never make it in time. The distances are greater than you realize. You will need to stay in the Canyon Park to get a sunrise. I have not been to the north rim myself, but it is supposed to be quite beautiful because of its higher elevation and wooded aspect.

However the north rim is closed in winter, usually by the middle of October.

4. Any other suggestions as to where to go? (Obvious good-natured insults get sent to /dev/null/).

If you are physically ambitious try the hike to the Havasupai reservation at the west end of the canyon. You may even be able to rent horses. It is some kind of desert Shangri La with waterfalls. You will need to contact the tribe before leaving for reservations.

Be prepared for any kind of weather. There is frequently snow on the rim or at Flagstaff and a 100 degrees in the bottom of the canyon. Or it could be hot.

5. Hotels/motels that were your favourites?

The El Tovar at the south rim is one of the grand old national park lodges. Worth it for at least one night. At least eat there.

Thanks, everyone.

Garth

--
Winsor Crosby