Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners

Subject: Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:43:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings, everyone.
>
> Being a silly Canadian, I have no knowledge
> whatsoever of the area known as the "Four Corners"
> in the American Southwest, nor any real idea of the
> Grand Canyon (North or South Rims).  The reason I'm
> talking about this is to solicit some advice.

Make sure you take UV/Sky filters and a pol to fit you
lens. Watch out with the 21! Haze can be a problem. I
dunno  if the forest fires of the summer have still
left their mark in the air but there may be forest
burns scheduled. I got snookered at Bryce Canyon last
April on account of a forest service burn. Constrast
goes to zip. On slides there is no mercy.

Grand Canyon is nice. "Close" are Zion and Bryce. By
close I mean you can drive to them within a day or
less and do some site seeing/photoging. I've found
more photog opportunities at these. I simply couldn't
shoot enough film. And all you have to do is waddle
out of your car a few paces so you can have all your
zuikos with you. With Grand Canyon there is a lot of
hard core trekking if you want variety and contrast.
After all one across the rim shot is like any other.
Seen one seen them all. :))  It's not real, the Grand
Canyon; it is a painted bill board out of Bierstadt's
imagination.

It starts to get stormy and windy starting in the fall
in the Southwest. A tripod sturdy enough to hang a
weight from helps.

If you have a panorama head take it. And if you have a
OM4T then use the exposure memory to synch the
exposure across the sequence of panorama shots.

Andre