Re: [OM] more on videodisks

Subject: Re: [OM] more on videodisks
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:51:02 -0300
On 10/9/02 7:15 PM, "Larry" <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you pop out a vhs tape downstairs in the middle of a movie, and bring it
> upstairs to continue watching, it will still be at the same spot.
>
> Completely & totally impossible to do that this way with a DVD.

This is true, but I think the advantage of never having to re-wind a DVD
out-weighs that. Plus, chapter selection lets you get pretty close usually
(if done well). Personally, I think that the advantage of never having to
re-wind (which applies every time you watch) is far greater than the
occasional disadvantage you mention. As always, your mileage may vary
(especially dependant on viewing habits).

Which brings up another advantage on DVD, I've watched a number of TV series
that have been released on DVD and all have had chapters set at the
beginning of each episode and then another at the end of the starting. So if
you are watching more than one episode, you can instantly skip over the end
credits and the starting of the next episode. Try that with a VCR.

And no, currently I do not own a DVD player. Oddly enough, I do own a 2-disc
DVD set though.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx