Re: [OM] HTML noise

Subject: Re: [OM] HTML noise
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 21:23:17 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:
Hi Folks,

Chuck wrote

Hey, Guys. The HTML noise on the digest is getting oppressive. Please turn it off.

I second that - or third it  <8=) When half the digest is html, and often un-
snipped copies of what has gone before, it just takes up too much disk space and time.

As a list admin, I gave up ages ago trying to get HTML turned off everywhere it originates. Some people don't know how, other people are on mismanaged systems that convert all plain text to HTML, etc. The best bet is a good de-MIMEing script at the listbot end. Most of the bicycle lists I manage use "stripMIME" to take care of this. If a message is both text and HTML, it strips the HTML and leaves the text. If it's HTML-only, it doesn't get through to the list.

You can still post URLs, just don't put the HTML around them, e.g. just http://www.phred.org/~josh , no HREF or < >. Most windoze mailers are smart enough to treat that as a clickable link, or you can just copy-and-paste into the browser.

--
Joshua Putnam, Agent
Putnam Financial Services