[OM] ( OM ) Off topic - viruses

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Off topic - viruses
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:02:56 +1300
Hi Folks

I also got the virus mail with a file from Skip. Fortunately, my ISP strips out
all infected attachments; the only viruses they cannot protect me from are
macro viruses such as in M$Word and Excel. I don't rely on them though, I
run my own antivirus program as well (Grisoft, free from Cz)

The mention of Bugbear reminds me. Not only is it as nasty as somebody
mentioned, but either it, or some other nasties, use one of the many
weaknesses of the browser M$ Internet explorer. (I use Opera). The
particular weakness they use is that some of the newest viruses don't even
require that you click on the file to open it. They run on their own once on
your machine.

Go to http://www.symantec.com  and read about Bugbear and some of the
others. On one of the pages is a link to the M$ patch to close the
vulnerability, for those unfortunates who are addicted to Internet Explorer.

HTH,  Brian