Re: [OM] (OT) more on videodisks

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) more on videodisks
From: "Andrew Dacey" <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:41:55 -0300
I think it was in reference to there being dueling re-writable standards for
DVD. Currently, I believe there are 2 versions on the market (DVD-RW and
DVD+RW) both of which are mutually incompatible and use different media. I'm
sure numerous other possibilities have been proposed as a single standard.

There was also the short-lived DVD-Ram format which seemed to lose favour
quite quickly. If memory serves, it was just a method of using a DVD as
optical storage but was not compatible with consumer DVD players, which was
why it didn't catch on. I believe that both DVD-RW and DVD+RW are readable
(but not recordable) by consumer DVD players.

I have heard of some burners coming out soon (possibly already out) that do
support both formats but they are expensive. Plus, that just avoids the
problem of the dueling standards but doens't resolve it, especially if a 3rd
technology comes out as the actual standard.

A lot of people are using Beta vs. VHS as the example but I don't think
that's really a valid comparison. That's more of an example of a superior
proprietary format fighting against an inferior but more open (and thus,
affordable) format. I think a more valid comparison is with 56k modem
standards. When 56k modems first started coming out, there were 2 dueling
standards (X2 and Flex), in the end, neither won out and the ITU created the
v.90 standard for 56k transmission. Fortunately, in that case, most modems
were upgradeable.

Personally, I think that PVRs (Personal Video Recorders) will eventually
replace VHS on the recording front. My ideal piece of consumer electronics
would be a combo PVR and DVD player with support for a standard re-writable
DVD technology (so you could claer the PVR's hard drive off to free space
but still keep the material).

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/