[OM] Rolls Royce Griffon & Hydroplanes Pics

Subject: [OM] Rolls Royce Griffon & Hydroplanes Pics
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:57:55 EDT
Jamie wrote:
>With parts inventories being about 0, I expect that they pray
every time they fire one up.

Oh, lots of parts around still, Jamie.  Even companies making new parts
still.  They just aren't cheap.  Like $7000 for a set of 12 forged pistons.
$25,000 for a crankcase with main bearings.

Lots of surplus engines from the Royal Air Force (as recently as the early
90s, many Griffons became available, some like new, I read).  Somebody was
selling a Merlin just a couple months ago, still in the Army Air Force crate!

When the hydros went to turbines in the mid 80s, most of the V12 engines,
newly rebuilt or otherwise, became available.  And those engines that are
hydro-prepped are built STRONG with some custom parts, to withstand the
constant over-revving from the prop diving in and out of the water.
Tremendous shock forces going back up the prop shaft.  Most teams carried
several engines along to every race, so they could swap out the complete
engine if needed, between heats.

I was pleasantly shocked when I walked in the engine build room of the Atlas
boat being refurbished.  SHELVES full of parts!  Enough cylinder assemblies
there for 3 Merlins.

So there are enough parts and surplus engines around that we should be able
to enjoy these great historic engines, whether in airplanes, boats, tractors,
or CARS (holeeee...) for generations to come.

Companies are still making new parts for the Model T and Model A Fords.  And
now a company is making new Motor Drive caps for our beloved OMs.  If a
product is popular enough...

Rich