Re: [OM] ( OM) Query

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM) Query
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
--- Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've seen on Gary's lens-test site where he has used
> the OM2000 quite a bit.
>
> Yet in the last digest somebody noted that it is a
> despised camera. Is this
> because it is a C*s*n* product, or are there deeper
> reasons?.
>
> This curious person wants to know.   Brian

I bought a used OM2000 used from B&H. I sent it back
today. It had a problem with film advance. Ever now
and then it would jamb and I had to fiddle with the
knobs and crank and then it would work again. I
couldn't figure out what sequence of pushing, pulling
and swearing did the trick. Could you see yourself
taking pictures and then all the sudden the film would
not advance and you did not know when you would get it
to work again.

Was it a problem with just this unit. Probably. But
what I noticed was that the body felt flimsy and
gutless. I wouldn't be surprised if it wore out fast.
It is not built like the other OMs. Simply put it is
not an OM. It is not bad; it is not a pro camera.

What did I buy it? For multiple exposures. Trying to
do multiple exposure on an non OM2000 OM is not very
good. Read the fine print in the manuals! .....some
film movement is likely...words to that effect. Will I
buy another? Yep if I can pick it up cheap enough.
Because I would like to have a true multiple exposure
capability.

Now has some zukioholic denizen has figured out how to
take multiple exposures on a real OM and address the
fine print, then please enlightenment us and save me
the trouble and expense of buying a cheesey camera.

As for Gary's tests I wonder whether over time the
performance of the OM2000 would deteriorate
significantly as it was used more and more. For the
hobbyist this isn't a problem but for serious photogs
it could be a problem. The ideal would be to get
engineering data on expected longevity. The vertical
shutter design appears to me to be a real innovation
over what was done in the 70s. But is it built up to
say N*k*n's metal shutter spec which is on the
F100/1000 is vertical also. Lastly, the MD1/2 is
touted by Olympus to have 200,000 frame capability.
They built them like brick s*i* houses!

Andre