[OM] ( OM ) The Man-made image

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) The Man-made image
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:54:10 +1300
Hi folks,

I've just been looking again at Richard Man's fine picture of Mother, maiden &
moribund Mouse that he gave the URL to a little while back. And I did a little
fiddling with a copy here.

I think that image has a lot of potential. Mystery, closeness, he caught the
moment, concern, composition, critical focus.  The very darkness of the
overall image adds to the mystery.

What I found is that if the area beneath the hands is cropped out, areas of
excessive lightness are removed and the attention is focussed more on the
mouse with those two human faces showing concern, wonderment and
tenderness.

Then I increased the contrast just a smidgen - too much and the essential
element of mystery is removed. Even more so with overall light level; tweak it
a little maybe but only a little.

I had trouble in the translation from pdd file to jpg - as always, it got
darker.

This leaves an image with a triangular composition that seems to work; two
close heads and faces looking at the central tiny figure of a little mouse that
is angular, peaky and certainly no longer sleek. Even the mouse shows
concern. As well it might, given later events. A little mouse that is trusting
enough to sit in a hand while being watched and spoken to.

I think that photo, given a little work, is a clear winner. There's a lot to
look at
and think over.

Brian