Re: [OM] Dead OM-2S Circuits

Subject: Re: [OM] Dead OM-2S Circuits
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 01:32:39 -0500
What percentage of the 2s's have meter failure?  Haven't a clue!

I just know that, of all the 2s's we see, perhaps 50% have relatively
minor faults (meter erratic, shutter sticks, wind jammed, etc) that
won't require major parts or complete disassembly, while 25% have major
faults that _will_ require disassembly (curtain timing off, no "program"
function, etc.).

The other 25% are _all_ meter failure -- everything works except the
display doesn't vary with light (and the only solution is to replace the
main circuit).  That's an astounding number, compared with other
models.  And we've seen this almost from the very start.  I've got bags
full of dead main circuits for the 2s, and have thrown away several
times that over the years.

Still, it's a great camera when it's working.  And the prices reflect
the risk, seems to me -- if it didn't have it's bad reputation, my bet
would be that they'd sell for closer to $400+/mint instead of $250.  But
even when they were new, they couldn't find their market.  Too Pro for
the amateur  ("Spot metering?  What's that?"), too amateur-ish for the
pro ("Program Mode? _Program_?!?!  That's for wimps!") -- really a
shame.