Re: [OM] OM-2's -- who needs 'em?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2's -- who needs 'em?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 23:44:05 +0200
>>What's with this obsession some of you have with the OM-2S?  Or with any
>>OM-2, for that matter.

My first OM was a -4. But when I got my first OM-2n, eight years after, I
said "WOW!"

>These are way different beasts! the 2s should really have been called
>OM4Lite+. Doesn't read as well though.

I agree. I see the OM-2S as an unexpensive substitute for the OM-4. Yes, I
know, the *real* back-up for an OM-4 is the 3Ti, but... ;-)

>> I've got an OM-1N, simplicity and elegance
>>personified.
>
>Agreed. Hard not to.

Same here. I also have a "near M-1" non-MD OM-1 (dated March '73) which is
the smoothest camera I've ever handled. In comparison, my XA seems noisy!
:-)

I like the OM-2 (not -S) becuase it combines the OM-1 "feel" with a
convenient auto-exposure system.

>Think of the advantages of the practically unrestricted shutter time on pre-
>n 2. If you have fresh enough batteries, it'll photograph anything with a
>few photons bouncing off it.

Pre-n OM-2's limit shutter time depending on film speed. With slower films
(around ASA 100 or less) it does looooooong exposures, much longer than the
OM-4, but at ASA 1600 my OM-2 goes no longer than 33 seconds. On the other
hand, my two OM-2n's are well over three minutes, no matter the film speed.

>How about slow - sync TTL flash? not second - curtain however.

Again, the *real* slow-sync TTL flash is for the -3Ti. When TTL flash can't
reach correct exposure, a pre-n OM-2 keeps shutter open until the right
exposure is achieved -- rather confusing, IMHO.

>Clearest viewfinder of the lot (don't forget that the 2 series screen only
>recovers the light you lose from the semi - mirror).

Nice again. And don't forget the possibility of doing OTF-Auto exposures
with the lever at OFF = zero battery drain.

In a word, OM2n rules! ;-)

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>