Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:54:08 +0100
This is an obscene waste. Not a unique example by any means though, and does
not come as a surprize.

It would perhaps be a good idea for as many people as possible to write to
Oly-USA and Japan and beg them not to allow such a thing to happen again.

Cheers,
Lee

Unfortunately, the stock market and the western tax regime make it more than
likely to happen again. My company has just had to do the same thing with
spare parts for machinery we no longer use. On a personal level it pains me.
On a corporate level, sometimes it's all you can do. Of course, our spares
weren't irreplaceable bespoke parts for collectors.

Even disregarding the corporate finance and taxation problem, Oly have to do
this. If they keep the spares, you can get old equipment repaired. If you do
that, you won't be buying as much new equipment as you otherwise would. It's
a reasonable percentage bet that enough people will remember how good the OM
gear was while it lasted, rather than how pissed off they are that they
can't get it fixed, to make this policy a net sales earner. Don't forget
that few (if any) people on this list are current Olympus customers. We all
trade in the aftermarket, from which Olympus earns nothing.

Julian