Re: [OM] ( OM ) Samyang 18~28

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Samyang 18~28
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:57:49 -0300
I have one of these. I've never taken any pics yet below about f8, so am not
too qualified to speak on the quality of images at wider apertures. But
here's one thing I don't like about mine. When you mount the lense, there is
a small "click stopper?" that snaps into a notch when it is in the correct
place, as with all lenses. But with this lens, there is significant slack,
so that the lens can be moved back and forth slightly when mounted. This may
not sound important until you realize that this affects your light reading,
enough so that it will change a light reading by not quite a full stop, but
I would say about 2/3 of a stop. And I don't really see an easy way to fix
this. I have another third party zoom lens that does this same thing to a
lesser extent. All my Zuikos are perfect this way, they have no slack
movement at all. So, yes, it is metal and well built in some ways, but not
the quality you expect with a Zuiko. 2/3 stop may not be significant for
prints, but it is for slides especially if you happen to misjudge a spot
reading and are already off maybe about 2/3 stop, and the 2 add together.
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if someone could compare
their 19-35 to see if it is any better in this respect?
Wayne