Re: [OM] Samyang lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang lens
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:46:21 -0700
The Pop Photo reviews are pretty clear. The 18-28 in its several guises is optically considerably less competent than the 19-35 Phoenix, Vivitar, etc. It appears one has the choice of a heavy metal lens with so-so performance or a light plastic lens with excellent performance. As to build quality, many listees believe metal is inherently good and plastic inherently bad. Last time this question came up, several posts, mine included, said that the plastic one didn't feel all that solid (perhaps because we tend to equate weight with durability?) but had never given any trouble. I don't recall any reports of mechanical trouble with the metal one either. I'll say I do like the light weight and relatively small size of the plastic one. It also uses 72mm filters, but is fairly short and not too wide behind the very front. It comes with a flimsy seeming but functional bayonet mount hood.

Moose

Ian G Skelly wrote:

Does anybody know anything about these? I'm thinking of buying the 18-28
zoom as a relatively cheap why of experimenting.