[OM] Rolls Royce Griffon & Hydroplanes Pics

Subject: [OM] Rolls Royce Griffon & Hydroplanes Pics
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:20:24 EDT
John G. wrote:

>snip
>I'll possibly turn one or two RR Merlin lovers a little green by
>saying I spent quite a few hours sitting behind these things back in
>the 50's!

Totally green here, John!  One of the fascinating things about the "thunder"
boats is not just the sound of the piston engines, but their history.  Where
they were made, and what for.  Another is the build quality -- they come from
an era of highly skilled craftsmanship.  No assembly line robots, no
computer-controlled machines involved.  Just pure hands on painstaking
craftsmanship.  Whether RR or Packard or Allison-built.  I just read where
NEW in the crate Allisons are still available!!!  If only we could be so
lucky with OMs, eh?

Rich