[OM] Re: More Mt. Rainier Photos

Subject: [OM] Re: More Mt. Rainier Photos
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:51:11 +1300
Hi Rich; re:-

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=244547

One thing I notice of your shots with birds in them, is that you have
invariably
placed the bird in the exact middle.

In my opinion, adjusting the composition when taking the shot, so that the
bird is only 1/3 of the distance from an edge, may make a fine shot into a
picture.

You could try cropping the photos you have to see the effect of this.

With flowers, it is often problematic to record them in direct bright sunlight.
When you get a chance, try similar shots under light bright cloud, or just
before sunrise (or after sunset) provided there is light bright cloud around to
diffuse the direct rays of the sun. In such diffuse light, the extremes of
contrast may be avoided, and you may be able to avoid having to use
polarisers. But watch out for a blue cast - if there's too much clear sky you
may need a warming filter to reduce the blue. In my experience, this colour
shows up in the reflections on leaves. The waxy surface on many leaves is
sent to try the patience of photographers !!

But - I am not an artist. Today I saw a photograph that Mapplethorpe took of
an Arum lily. I have them here now, and have been thinking of trying
something with them. Anything could be seen as plagiarism I suppose; or
trying to learn from an obvious master. Doro's photo (among others there) on
the Summer Exchange site, is art that I can only aspire to.

Brian