Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:30:57 GMT
Cc:
>Aside from spare parts I think that destruction of unsold
>merchandise is pretty routine in industrial societies.  The
>discontinued stuff is competition for the new model.

Which industrial society would that be?  Certainly not the one
in which I live.  Automakers do not destroy inventory, they
reduce the price to get rid of it.  I've never read a story
concerning quantities of washing machines or other applicances
being destroyed.  In every company I've worked - and I've
worked for quite a few - I've never heard of inventory being
destroyed in the manner you describe.  I have heard of companies
selling old products to a distributor, however.

>Destruction of spare parts has the same effect. If you make
>fairly reliable equipment the few customers who are really
>ticked by not being able to fix the old stuff are far outnumbered
>by the ones who replace it because they want the latest.

Or to state it from a different point of view, customers who
wish to buy the latest technology will do so.  However, to
alienate existing customers is contrary to long-term corporate
survival.

Pete