Re: [OM] OT - K*dak full frame D-SLR

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - K*dak full frame D-SLR
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:50:25 -0400
Winsor,
CANFUJIKON realize that the depth of available AF lenses available bear
heavily in their approach to designing and marketing digital SLRs. Oly could
go the same way, but it wouldn't be with such a minor population of outdated
MF lenses. They'd have to choose one of the major competitor's lens formats
or design a new format. Clearly, the CANFUJIKON camp is compromising by
using existing lenses on a smaller format target. There's no such thing as
ultra wide in this format. You have to use the ultra wide lenses to get a
wide angle view, and a wide angle lenst to get a normal view. Keeping the
same lenses available will pan out nicely when the standard format for DSLR
achieves 24x36.

Oly's attempt to standardize a smaller format is about their only option. I
don't expect them to enter the full size competition. I don't expect the 4/3
thing to overtake the DSLR market but it may be the digital equivilent to
the OM as far as small, light innovations go.

I think they're right, though. You should use a lens designed for the
format. You wouldn't put a Zuiko on a medium format camera, or vice versa,
would you? (I'm guess someone has.)  Sadly, Oly's shift from OM to consumer
stuff played them out of the current game.

I don't see myself heading to SLR type digital photography any time soon.
I'm not concerned about having to keep my Zuikos just for my OM's.

Mickey  :-)