[OM] - 200mm

Subject: [OM] - 200mm
From: "Fabio J. Flowerside" <flowerside@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:33:55 +0200
Hi all,

I was recently wondering to add a 200mm to my lens set. I know that Olympus
has two distinct offerings: the Zuiko 200mm f/4 and its f/5 brother (one of
the so-called "best kept secrets").

Apart from the obvious differences in f/stop and filter thread size, does
anyone of you have experienced both of them and could tell me how do they
perform in comparison? (MTF tests apart... I've already seen those posted
days ago by Frieder Faig). I'd be really tempted to buy the f/4 version,
given that the extra 2/3 stop will help me in low light conditions, but I've
often heard on this list that the f/5 is "better" (generally speaking). Is
this statement due to its better handling only?

The two 200mm f/4 I've recently found are in good but not perfect shape: one
has big tracks of dust (maybe fungi?) inside, while the other has a small
coating mark (not a scratch, it just shows up as a track with different
color reflections) on the rearmost element.

What of these two "damages" do you think will have more impact on image
rendering?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Fabio