Re: [OM] 350/2.8 lensmount lock (and spare parts question)

Subject: Re: [OM] 350/2.8 lensmount lock (and spare parts question)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:33:54 -0700
In a message dated 10/14/2002 Clint writes:

<< The body latches for the 350 and 250 were rather weak -- there's a
separate
plate attached to the tab you press to unlock the lens, and this plate
bends/wears out.  Replacements seem to be available -- part #CA066100 -- but
you'll have to remove and disassemble the mount to install it.  That should
clear up the problem with locking onto a body/teleconverter. >>

Thank you for the help Clint! I appreciate it. I now have in front of me,
thanks to Olympus Parts, a fax with the mechanical breakdown and parts list
and I see the part you're describing. How difficult (read dangerous) is it
to replace? I have good small mechanical aptitude (I'm factory trained by
Sony and Philips in Video-8 and VHS-C consumer video cam-corder repair) but
don't want to tread where I shouldn't.

Given that it latches okay (but not great) on my (two) OM-2S and (one) OM-1
bodies, along with my 2XA extender, should I also be replacing the mounts on
my OM-4T and 1.4XA at the same time?

<< The stripped tripod frame is a different story.  >>

This part should be easily fixed with a HeliCoil so I'm not too concerned.
There are 3 other tripod holes to select from and the damaged one is still
serviceable--just not for much longer.

<< Or send it to Oly for their flat rate repair of $300-$2100! >>

Ouch...the $300.00 end of things sounds okay. The $2100.00 end of the
spectrum is kinda scary.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com