Re: [OM] Mirror lock-up question

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lock-up question
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:07:02 +0000
Its hard to imagine there will be no mirror slap problems
even in today's autofocus wunderbricks. The shutter
speed at which it occurs will depend on the natural
frequency of vibration of the camera/lens assembly -
typically between 1/8 and 1/30 sec.
What I don't like about the N(F)80 is that even with the
self timer activated, the mirror doesn't lock up and the
aperture stop down, like in the OMs.
I believe Canon does offer MLU even in their mid level
EOS cameras (EOS Elan II, etc), or is it mirror prefire,
I am not sure.

For astrophotography MLU will not make any difference,
assuming your shutter speed is going to be longer than
1 sec. However just for your satisfaction you can try
the following for long exposures: Cover the front of the
lens with a black card with the camera mounted on a
tripod, press  the shutter button, remove the card and
after adequate exposure place the card back in the front,
and finally release the shutter. Its a 100+ year old
technique, but it will work ! :)

-Tim