[OM] My one experience getting those damn 1mm balls back into a lens

Subject: [OM] My one experience getting those damn 1mm balls back into a lens
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:53:49 -0400
In the late 1960s, my college roomate asked me to fix the lens on his Mamiya
35mm camera.  (I don't know what got into him.)  The problem was that the iris
blades didn't stop down fast enough to get to the correct setting in time,
causing random but gross overexposures.

The solution was to disassemble the lens, clean out the pivot holes through
which the little pins staked to the iris blades passed, and reassemble the
lens.  Cleaning was accomplished with the very tip of a round swiss file,
making the pivot hole slightly larger, so brass wear dust would simply fall out
of the space between the steel pivot pin and pivot hole (in brass), rather than
accumulate and cause the pivot to become stiff.  This was basically a minor
design flaw - the tolerances were too tight for an unlubricated bearing, and
the bearing had to be dry or it would draw dirt.

The problem was that to get to the iris blades, one had to disassemble the main
focus bearing, which consisted of two v-shaped races in the edges of two brass
rings, filled with one or two hundred 1mm steel balls, lightly lubricated but
not really greased, so they don't much stick to the races.

So, roomate is watching intently as I take the lens apart and gently shake all
those little balls out into a seamless aluminium baking pan.  Shaking?  This
really isn't looking good.  Eventually he gets the courage to ask just how do I
plan to get all those tiny balls back into the lens.  I parry the question,
finish reaming out the pivot holes.  He still worries, mostly in silence.
Tweezers don't work well on such things, and most of the balls will likely be
lost.  How can this work....

The trick is to lay the lens out with bottom race horizontal, pick up a chain
of balls with a small screwdriver and a magnet touching the screwdriver blade,
lay the chain down in the race, then pull the magnet away from the screwdriver
blade, releasing the chain in place.  It took two or three repeats to get all
the balls back in place.  Then gently screw the rest of the lens back together,
being careful not to dislodge the tiny little balls.

Afterwards, the lens worked just fine, and was used for decades.

So, camera repair and medicine have something in common: it's best if the
patient's loved ones don't watch.

Joe