Re: [OM] My one experience getting those damn 1mm balls back into a lens

Subject: Re: [OM] My one experience getting those damn 1mm balls back into a lens
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:19:42 -0300
Joe Gwinn wrote:
> The trick is to lay the lens out with bottom race horizontal, pick up a
>chain of balls with a small screwdriver and a magnet touching the
>screwdriver blade, lay the chain down in the race, then pull the magnet
>away from the screwdriver blade, releasing the chain in place.  It took two
>or three repeats to get all the balls back in place.  Then gently screw the
>rest of the lens back together, being careful not to dislodge the tiny
little >balls.

When I got these three lenses recently, I had to fix a part that had
seperated that controlled the aperture stop down, same problem on each lens.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1380406306&rd=1
Then I discovered another problem, when the lens was at about 55mm, and
focused at infinity, its shortest overall length, the aperture wouldn't stop
down. Turned out the problem was a long control lever that pushed the
aperture was just slightly too long, and had to be filed down just a little.
Of course the lenses all had to be disasembled, which meant a lot of loose
ball bearings. To put them back in, I slightly magnetized my tiniest screw
driver by stroking it with another piece of metal, to pick up each one
individually. Then a slight jiggle would release it. I think your method
sounds much better. Where were you with this advice a few days ago? :-)

Wayne