[OM] ( OM ) Re: Modern Photography issues

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: Modern Photography issues
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:30:29 +1300
Hi Titoy & all

Titoy asked
> Are there any articles on OM there that we still do not have in our shared
> resource links that you might be able to post? I mean stuff like lens tests,
> om
> camera body tests etc.

I haven't been through them all by any means. However, I did note tests and
dissections for the XA, OM2SP, OM4, OM3. If I ever reproduce these it will
not be as scans of the pages, but a conversion of the pages into html. Scans
take up too much download cost.

Also, it is interesting that they have tested numbered standard Zuiko lenses
with the OM bodies they tested. These data are worth recording and
evaluating against what else we know about the lens series.

Further, now that I have a lot more insight into Tamrons, Tokinas, Vivitars,
etc thanks to this group and to Robert Monaghan, I'll be going through the
multitude of tests of these lenses with a fine-tooth comb. (previously I
mentally wrote off all third-party lenses as being probably a total waste of
time; it was not possible to obtain meaningful information on them and who
was going to lay out large sums of money on what could be duds? Not me).

It was quite an eye-opener to see again the full-page ads for OM cameras. I
had forgotten about them.

Of course, I have only about the last 5 years-worth of Modern, and that five-
years is not complete either.

I also draw attention to the Modern photography lens test results available on
the internet as text files, many thanks to the hard work and interest of list
member Lee Hawkins. You should be able to trace them if you do a search
on Google. As far as I can see, it is a very full list - maybe complete.

A correction with respect to my latest personal lens tests. I just checked my
photo field book.  I used my OM2 (mostly with the DOF button held in) and
not the OM4Ti.

Considering that, I may well re-run the tests with another camera body that
will do mirror lockup & aperture prefire - or try some technique using flash to
eliminate movement.  Or each.

Brian