[OM] ( OM ) Re: Lens resolution capability

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: Lens resolution capability
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:04:23 +1300
Hi Dreammoose, Walt and all,

Dreammoose wrote

> I was thinking the same things as Winsor and your reply. Is the test
> setup really right? Is the camera body OK?
>
> Also, how do you define "very sharp image"? To try to define it in terms
> of lppm without any referrent to what that means relative to the visual
> experience of viewing your prints and slides is just borrowing trouble.
> If I have a lens that my experience tells me produces very sharp images

Yes, I suspect that my testing technique may not have been as scrupulously
set up as it could have been.

I am likely to re-test these lenses and more within the next 6 months (ie
don't hold your breath) using a different camera body and maybe some other
change to method.

This mostly started with my dissatisfaction with prints I got back, but also
with some slides too I think. And for years I have looked at advertisements /
photographs printed in glossy journals that are purported to have been
created with a 35mm system (usually NKN or CNN), and I have wondered
why it is that I cannot get results like that from my OMs of nearly 25 years.
Has it been me, the particular lenses I used, the camera, a combination, or
what??  Have I just imagined this, or what? (I don't think so).

And in case somebody is thinking that I should, I don't accept that I should
not be able to create very sharp photos. I hope that I can use Zuikos to do it.

Since joining this group about a year ago (and also looking long and hard at
Gary's site and thinking about what he writes) I think I am producing sharper
shots, and I certainly also have the encouragement to be more artistic /
creative. As far as prints go, the lab I use must also take some of the
credit.(I note that prints I had made at a Kodak lab in Hilversum,
Netherlands, 12 years ago are a lot sharper than prints I had made here 3
years ago.)

But, I still have doubts about the lenses I am using.

And I also want to test those lenses I have purchased, such as the Panagor
55mm macro, for which there appear to be no published test results.  I want
to provide Lpmm data for lenses I have which so far I have seen only SQF
data for (such as the Samyang 18~28).

I still want to have a lens of indisputably high resolution so that I can find
out
what I and my gear can do. So a 35~80 Zuiko is on my wish list (long-term).
Yes, I know there are some other sharp ones too, but that one has the
greatest correction of any, as I understand it, for colour aberrations - and
probably other corrections I don't know about..

I also need to become more creative with the deliberate use of shallow DOF,
BUT I still want a lot of my shots to be |**tack sharp**| all over. Especially
those I wish to use for publication.  That's why I also bought some Medium
Format gear. To get more pixels per angle of view, so to speak.

A local here (and old friend) says I should join the premier local camera club.
I don't know about that..

I have started using some of my scarce money to get 8x12 prints made just
to see what shows up. But at $10 apiece (our money = USD5) I can't do too
many of those.

That's a long enough rant.  Have I answered the questions?

Brian