Re: [OM] More Recent Works

Subject: Re: [OM] More Recent Works
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:13:22 -0700
I admire your work, John, and what you post is mostly so good, that I appreciate you posting a few that are only very good to boost my morale.

Moose

John A. Lind wrote:

  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om156.jpg
Great flower, color and background. Could use better focus at the top, as could
many of mine.

  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om157.jpg
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om158.jpg
Technically excellent. A bit cold for my personal taste.

  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om159.jpg
Very nice! Might be even better with a little more light in upper center
darkness. Photoshop?
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om160.jpg

A little light unless I dim my monitor a bit, then I like it a lot.

Got a few more up this evening, again still need to put a page together, so they're the raw JPEG files.
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om161.jpg
http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om163.jpg

What's to say, technically excellent lighting studies.

  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om169.jpg

Either not enough DOF or the plane of focus is too far forward. Even out of focus, the background pattern is too strong and distracting. Photoshop can fix that.

http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om170.jpg

Love it. Same slightly distracting bokeh that I get with the Tamron 60-300.

http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om171.jpg

Lovely subject, lighting and composition. Not enough DOF for my taste.

http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om172.jpg

Something about this is sort of sterile or flat, no depth, can't quite put my finger on it. The Out of focus mass in upper left is distracting.

http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om173.jpg

Pretty flower, nice composition except I'd lose the sharply focused little hairs on the bottom. The out of focus petals on the lower left detract from the image for me. I have the same problem with my flower shots. Getting the DOF and focal plane just right is far harder than it seems it should be. A bit of far side light might pick up the undulations in the center of the petals and give a little more depth to the even white expanses.