RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:07:54 -0700

Fast forward to 2003. DSLRs for field use (sports, journalism, nature
work, etc.) will still in the "kludge" mode. The new breed of full-frame
sensor DSLRs are really only suitable (and promoted as such by their
makers) for studio use where a mondo-memory dual processor computer with
the computing horsepower of a top fuel dragster is nearby. I don't see
that changing anytime soon for the full frame DSLRs. DSLRs in general
are still in their infancy. Admittedly, though, technology time marches
far faster than the mechanical 35mm SLR era of the early 1970s.

-snip

I think what unfolds in the DSLR world over the next year or two could
be very interesting...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com

I am not sure I agree whole heartedly, Mike. Just a couple of points. My impressions that the "kludge" cameras are not that much bigger than the pro system film cameras that are already being used. So there is not really a big adjustment to be made there. The computer would also be needed for a smaller Olympus with the same number of megapixels. Fewer megapixels will not sell. So that does not seem to be an option. Olympus has already announced that they are not committed to building a pro system around their new body. They want others to do that. Since the others are going the "kludge" route because they do not want to commit to new lens systems either, or they have tried it and are hoping that coming out with the "kludge" will stimulate sales. I would guess that they are not willing to make lenses for the Olympus if their own efforts have not been an overwhelming success. An APS standard took the whole industry working together. Oly is not going to do it. Nikon and Canon together might have pulled it off. So I think that Oly is going to come out with an E20, priced like the competition, with one lens, a removable zoom, and people are going to say, "Huh?"
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California