[OM] OT Sunpak 120J Auto Pro Question

Subject: [OM] OT Sunpak 120J Auto Pro Question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:03:11 -0500
In the quest for better on-camera lighting, I've been considering getting a Sunpak 120J Auto Pro with Sunpak's battery "slab" for it. I already have Sunpak OM TTL modules and would only need the EXT-10 cord to mount it on a Newton bracket. Looking at its specs, it appears that it really needs to run from something other than internal cells.

Does anyone on the list have experience with this Sunpak? How does it compare with a standard on-camera flash in the nature of the lighting with the bowl reflector? Is is similar to flash bulbs in a bowl reflector (which do look a little different from electronic flash)?

I was also looking at Quantum's T2 Q-flash, but its price is pretty salty and for the amount of work it would be used for, I cannot justify it.

Spent most of the afternoon shooting a wedding reception; used the OM-2S, 35-105 (usually use a 50/1.4, but lighting was not dim as with most receptions) with the Metz 40MZ-3i on top of the Newton bracket, with and without bounce card. Worked well and balance felt good, but have always felt that direct flash is a bit harsh. (BTW, the Metz with NiMH cells recovers very quickly).

TIA,
-- John