Re: [OM] 16MP DC vs Provia F 100

Subject: Re: [OM] 16MP DC vs Provia F 100
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:55:48 -0700 (PDT)
Interesting shots but I'm a bit confused as to your
methodology. How exactly did you try to simulate a
14MP digicam with the E-10 vs the OM? Otherwise it's
an interesting comparison. The pictures were taken at
almost the same time right? But the Provia is so much
cooler. As far as resolution goes at first the DC
looks sharper (to my eye) but if you look closely and
study the photographs you can catch some very subtle
details that the DC missed completely (take a look at
level 16 on the first row of windows coming in from
the number side, there is a broken window there
clearly shown in the film but totally missed by the
DC.
     The only other big difference is the grain, which
is nearly nonexistant in the E-10 but very present in
the OM shot but personally the grain gives the picture
a definite sense of grittiness that I like in this
picture at least so Provia wins in this category.
     As for digicams in general if I ever decide to
get into digital photography I would probably try to
get into Olympus's latest E-series offering or wait an
see what the 4/3 DSLR is like. Those massive
Nikcanodak DSLR's simply don't impress me as I'm not
into Nikon or Canon and in fact am running the other
way if you read my post about Large Format and despite
what Luminous Landscape has to say (I take their
opinions with a big grain of salt here) Digital will
not rival 4x5 or even MF for a loooong time and hasn't
yet rivaled 35mm.

Mark Lloyd