Re: [OM] Infrared?

Subject: Re: [OM] Infrared?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:58:26 -0500
At 09:35 10/20/02, Mickey asked:
Are there color IR films, or is that a video imaging system I'm thinking about?

The only one I know of is Kodak's EIR, a chrome film, and is IR sensitive from 700-900 nanometers. It can be shot EI200 and processed E-6 with greater saturation, contrast and "false" colors, or EI100 and processed AR-5 for color accuarcy (compared to its predecessor). The EI ratings are starting points.

Salty stuff, B&H sells it for about $21.50 per 36-exp roll. As with any other IR film, care in storage, loading, unloading, handling and processing is essential. Loading and unloading must be done in absolute darkness. Even if you have it processed E-6, great care must be taken regarding whatever E-6 machine is used! Most of them have sensors that emit IR. They must be turned off for processing this film. A "Google" search can tell you who does the AR-5 processing.

Kodak's EIR marketing information:

http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCatalog.pl?section=&cc=US&lc=en&product=KODAK+EKTACHROME+Professional+Infrared+EIR+Film
(you will undoubtedly have to concatenate this URL back together)

Kodak's EIR data sheet:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/ti2323/ti2323.shtml

For IR photography information in general, there is a wealth of it on W.J. Markerink's IR mega-site (considered **THE** IR site on the web):
  http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm

-- John