RE: [OM] Yellow Jacket

Subject: RE: [OM] Yellow Jacket
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:30:49 -0600
Not only bees do this. Years ago I read an account of a climb where many of
the porters were from Baltistan. They each carried a Yak skin and at night
they rolled up naked in a ball with the yak skins wrapped around the
outside. When the people on the outside got cold they rotated in and the
others moved to the outside. Their primary vegetable was onions and they
expelled significant quantities of gas while sleeping. The comments
describing the odor of this ball of humanity were entertaining. One of the
climbers had to spend a night at high altitude in a tent with one of the
porters and he said he seriously considered going outside where he could
freeze to death without the odor of that awful gas. Probably not a great
photo op.  /jim