RE: [OM] newborn shots?

Subject: RE: [OM] newborn shots?
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:13:31 -0700
I took pictures at the births of my kids 20+ years ago. Film was no more
than ASA 100 or 200 (and most likely 100) so you may find those you're
planning on using are too fast. The lights in the delivery room are *very*
bright--at least they were from the standpoint of an anxious dad taking
photos from the head of the table. I had little problem at all. Camera was
an OM-1N and lens was most likely just the 50/1.8, although it's possible I
used a 135/3.5 (I doubt it, though). Flash is absolutely verboten, for a
host of reasons, not least of which is that some anesthetics (not to mention
oxygen) are flammable.

I found the lights used by the doctors to be pretty decent as far as color
temperature. The rest of the room lighting is generally fluorescent (at
least it was then), but generally overpowered at the focal point (so to
speak) by the task lighting used.

Here's the shot of Kate:
http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/gomez/cathy.html

I could probably get a better scan now, as I've got a film scanner. I notice
that one's a bit blown out in the highlights (it's not in the original)
which I think was scanned from a print.

---
Scott Gomez