Re: [OM] OM40 faults

Subject: Re: [OM] OM40 faults
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:21:17 -0700
Problem is you really need an OM-42 :-)

Seriously, one or both of your troubles my be nothing more than surface contact corrosion. Try cleaning the hot shoe contacts on both flash and camera body. This fixed exactly the same problem on an OMPC (same as the 40) for me. For Manual, try running the selector switch back and forth a lot to try and break through any corrosion. It's just simple copper switch brushes rubbing against a circuit board. Unfortunately, Manual is at the end of the travel, so you can't really brush back and forth across it. Even if you can get it working for a bit this way, you will know what's wrong, wich should be an easy repair.

Tom S. already told you about the battery requirements for reliable operation.

Give my best to Arthur.

Moose

Ford Prefect wrote:

Hello I have only just found this list. I have had an OM40 fro some time
now. ever since buying it second hand (very cheaply I may add) it has had a
voracious appetite for batteries. some time later I found the hot shoe for
the flash didn't work with the flash I had on my old OM10 ,as the OM10 was
and still is working fine I just used that most of the time. however the
OM40 has now got a new fault. if used manually its fine, if used in
automatic mode it jams. any ideas. having looked though the archives I
figure the battery problem is just the cheapo batteries (it did eat one set
inside a day though!)

Stewart

General Reality Failure : Reboot Universe