Re: [OM] Info on 35-70 Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Info on 35-70 Zuikos
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:42:08 -0000
Some points possibly not covered by earlier posts (these comments don't
include the Cosina-made f3.5-4.8):

(1)  The f3.6 has a filter thread that does not rotate as you adjust focus
(makes using polarising and graduated filters easier).  The other two lenses
have rotating filter threads.

(2)  The f3.6 has a lens-hood design that moves relative to the front
element in order to give the optimum effect at all focal lengths.  The other
two lenses have static lens hoods that give less than optimum effect at
longer focal lengths.

(3)  The f3.5-4.5 is awkward to focus with the common focussing screens
(1-1, 1-13, 2-13).  (I think that this is because the open aperture closes
down to 4.5 at any combination of aperture-setting and focal-length-setting
other than f3.5 at 35mm.).  The other two lenses should be easier to focus
due to their brighter maximum apertures (I say "should be" as I have not
used them -- I have only the f3-5-4.5).

(4)  The f3.5-4.5 fits in the standard ERC (ever-ready case).  The other two
lenses will fit in the (relatively uncommon) long-nose ERC.

(5)  The f3.5-4.5 is about half the weight of the other two lenses; it
presumably uses plastics in its construction.  Despite this, it has a
quality feel to it, every bit as good as other Zuikos.

-- from Cy in the UK