Re: [OM] newborn shots?

Subject: Re: [OM] newborn shots?
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:50:02 -0700
I spent far too much time in the delivery OR and neonatal ICU
last November, and did take a few pictures while I was there. The
lighting was a mix of good fluorescents overhead for general room
lighting and very high color rendition incandescents for the
delivery itself -- the medical folks depend on good color
rendition when identifying what they're working on and evaluating
the color of the babies, among other things, so their work lights
are quite good for photography.

In the ICU the lighting was fluorescents overhead plus bright
incandescents for bilirubin photo-treatment on the isolettes.

I used mostly 400 speed film, didn't notice any great advantage
between Kodak and Fuji portrait films in this setting. (I avoided
films with increased color saturation since that would mostly
emphasize any blood that was around, and there was more than
enough of that anyway.)

http://www.phred.org/~josh/personal/twins/Derek.jpg is one of our
twins in the neonatal ICU, carefully composed and cropped to
avoid most of the tubes and wires.

http://www.phred.org/~josh/personal/twins/DerekBottle.jpg is the
first time he was allowed out of the isolette for a bottle feeding.

Both are existing-light pictures, unfiltered, no significant color correction required.

--
josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>