RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced
From: The Bobbs <thebobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:44:19 -0600
Hi All,

This is why the NikCanDak (and FujSig) are all still advancing the "kludges"
for field (especially sports) use. The DSLR marketplace is still in a very
early stage of development. Olympus and others who wish to jump in the 4/3
standard do still have a chance and the end of next year is not really "too
late" at all. There are still a whole bunch of folks who still shoot a whole
bunch of film that have not yet 100 0.000000e+00mbraced digital.

Regrettably, it appears Pentax's system is NOT the same size as the long awaited OlyDak. Pentax is going for a full APS sized sensor, that's almost double the surface area of a 4/3" sensor. So, now we have two competing camps for a "less than full sized" sensor digital SLR. That won't help the cause for lighter/cheaper at all. :-( Hmm, didn't Minolta have a family of interchangeable lenses for film APS at one point?

(See dpreview.com -- recently they had a nice article describing sensor sizes and APS is a lot bigger than the 4/3" proposed for the still mythical "KodaPus")

Too bad, really. I think it would have been in everybody's interest (except Canon/Nikon) if the "rest" of the crowd would have rallied around one competitive, interchangeable lens size/mount for digital. Imagine, if Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Fuji etc were all producing a monster family of interchangeable lenses. The "best of the best" in that market would be truly awesome. (For whatever the right sensor size is).

As it is, the "not full frame" market will be fragmented and Nikon/Canon will divide/conquer ... again. All IMHO, of course.

I for one, don't care to lug around the kind of mass that will be a Canon 1Ds kit, even when it becomes reasonably affordable.

Stuart