RE: [OM] 4 layer films

Subject: RE: [OM] 4 layer films
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:33:21 -0600
> It's proprietary to Fuji and includes an additional Cyan layer in the film

> emulsion.  Fuji claims it aids in color balancing prints from daylight
film
> shot under other than pure daylight, especially with fluorescents which
are
> more problematic than incandescents.
> [snip]
> All Fuji's color negative films are C-41 process, same
> as all other daylight color negative films in current production.

 I'm missing something -- how does the extra layer help here? If it's the
same processing as any other film, how can the printing machines(person)
'use' the extra layer to balance the colours? If it was a physically
separate thing that could be removed and used to calibrate, I could see it,
but if it's just another layer of emulsion, surely all that happens is that
the resulting negative is possibly slightly differently coloured to the one
without the extra layer.

 Is it that the cyan layer 'activates' under flourescent light to help
cancel the colouring effects of the lights out, but doesn't do anything in
daylight? If so, does this mean that if you took photos of a subject that
happened to be "flourescent-coloured", you'd end up with the final image
looking strange because the film couldn't tell the difference?

 -- dan