RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:38:33 -0700
At 11:29 AM 10/22/2002 -0700, Mike Veglia wrote:
...I was reading with great interest first impression reviews of the 11.1
megapixel full frame imager Canon D1 yesterday. While on the one hand
performance was nothing short of stunning, on the other hand wide angle
performance (the entire reason for a full frame sensor) sucked--really bad
chromatic aberration was the apparent norm. So, still a "kludge" and you
don't even get the multiplication factor anymore that is actually used and
enjoyed by sports shooters.

Not so fast! First of all, all things considered, since I don't have any film glass that I can move to a DSLR system (assuming even the Zuikos on the 4/3 systems would be at best stopgap measure), I would much rather have a smaller system, than a big system like the Kodak/Nikon/Canon. So I want you to be right!

But this aberration may or may not have to do with the sensor size. I think the jury us still out of this. For example, looks like the Sigma SD9 also has some problems and the x3 is a smaller sensor! See this thread: <http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=3611494>

What the Canon 1D shows already though, is that there are significantly more details to be have when you move to a 10-14 megapixel system. In the ideal case, a camera manufacturer needs to have a line of interchangable lens system with SAME sensor size but w/ different resolution so that the lens magnification factor is constant across the lines. This wouldn't make sense on a full size sensor, would it?