[OM] Macro, butterflies and bokeh?

Subject: [OM] Macro, butterflies and bokeh?
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:50:35 -0400
Alex wrote:

>I had the opportunity to shoot some butterflies recently and
>discovered it was rather tough--especially since they did not
>like an approach closer than 6 feet (for obvious evolutionary
>reasons)!

(((SNIP)))

>I would like to hear of tips and tricks of other butterfly shooters,
>irregardless of lenses used!

Be vewwry, vewwry qwiet and move vewwry, vewwry slowly!  Works for me.  I
usually stalk the little critters with a 135/4.5 macro on the auto tube,
sometimes with flash.  If you move stealthily enough, and if they're busy,
I've found it's fairly easy to sneak right up on them.  See my TOPE entries
6 and 8.  Of course, in 6, the bug got ambushed and wasn't going anywhere.
Works for dragon flies too.

Walt