[OM] family photo enlargement

Subject: [OM] family photo enlargement
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:53:49 -0300
We're debating now on which one of the self-portrait family shots we took on
Thanksgiving day to get enlarged. If we go with one of the ones taken with
the Yolympusmat 124G tlr (6x6 neg), how big can we enlarge? I've never had
enlargements done from anything other than 35mm.
By my measurements, the negs measure 57mm, as against 36mm on the longest
side of 35 format. However, a typical enlargement from 35mm is usually done
in 4 to 5 ratio (8x10, 11x14, etc). So only a maximum of 30mm of the actual
neg is being used. Assuming you can use 56mm of the MF negative, you could
make a 4 to 5 ratio enlargement from a 6x6 negative at 20x25 inches that
should equal the quality of a 35m enlarged to 11x14. Or an enlargement 28x35
inches would equal one made from 35mm at 16x20. I've had made 16x20 inches
from a 35mm in the past, and it was okay for me.
So, it seems all things being equal, that is the same film, same lab, etc,
that a 6x6 negative should give a cropped enlargement 24x30 inches, and the
quality of the enlargement should fall somewhere between the quality of a
11x14 and a 16x20 made from a 35mm negative. But I realize things are
sometimes different in real life than what they calculate out to be on
paper. I'm hoping someone here has had some experience, and can maybe give
advice on getting something enlarged to 24x30 inches.
[Okay, I realize that this is assuming also that the quality of a Yash*c*mat
lens is equal to a Zuiko - not likely to happen on this list :-) ]
Wayne

(If I had quick access to a scanner, I'd get your opinions on which one to
get enlarged. We got it down toabout 4 choices. But my son, who works making
web pages with computers, lost his job recently, company closed down due to
economy, so I lost my scanner access. Thus no TOPE entry this time either
:-(