Re: [OM] A tragedy has happened here

Subject: Re: [OM] A tragedy has happened here
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:17:35 +0200
Yo,

John wrote:

>Nein, Nein! Schneider & Sohn Hefe-Weisse on hot days, and Avarl V}us(sp?)
>on the cold days. I am also sort of partial to some different varieties
>of Tucher. :)

I really hope I don't start a huge off-topic thread, but to this I
just _must_ reply.

So, Schneider is actually very good for industrially (as opposed to
small breweries, where the trade is still much regarded as an art,
such as Hummel) made stuff, especially the Aventinus, but comparing it
to Hummel's brew is like comparing McDonald's fast food to Paul
Bocuse's cuisine (fortunately, the analogy does not extend onto the
price :-) ). As for Tucher, in spite of their well-deserved reputation
of making some of the worst beers in southern Germany, their dark and
their wheat beer are drinkable, I'd say low average, but as to the
rest - better forget it (yuck!).

I am, of course, extremely spoiled. ;-)  If you look at the Bavarian
brewery map, you will find one single area where it is almost
completely black because there is barely enough space for all the dots
which each represent a brewery. I live in the center of it. Villages
with less than 500 inhabitants but two or three breweries are not
uncommon at all around here, and 990f them practice brewing as an
art. No industrial product will ever come close to what they make.
Hummel is one of the best, with a big question mark behind the "one
of".

If you ever happen by our region, by all means send me a mail in
advance so we can try to arrange for a little brewery tour (for a
preview, just concentrating on the city which has about 75000
inhabitants but only 9 breweries - there are _lots_ more in the
surrounding county, partly even better ones, such as Hummel - I
recommend http://www.beerguide.de/bamberg/bamberg.htm).

Obligatory OM content: Many (or even most) of them are real
picturesque old (often several hundred years) buildings, so you can
combine the brewery tour with giving your OMs a workout.

Thinking about it - it's been a while since the European OM-list
meeting in Botrange. Hm....

MtFbwy,
Volkhart