Re: [OM] T32 filters question

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 filters question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:56:10 -0500
At 15:03 10/23/02, Dan Mitchell wondered:
  What are the neutral density filters for, though? Presumably it only makes
sense to use these in fully manual mode, because otherwise either the flash
(or TTL control) will try and compensate by firing the flash for longer, or
by keeping the shutter open longer -- so are they just if you want to barely
illuminate something?

 I guess that makes sense, but I'm having a hard time imagining a picture
creation scenario that would _require_ a really wimpy flash, though. What am
I missing?

Dan,
Think macro with flash exceptionally close to subject because the camera lens is exceptionally close. Using T-32's mounted around the lens for something like the yellow-jacket shot falls into this category. It is a "classic" and rather extreme example. Another would be close flash use with human skin, especially pale Caucasian skin tones. Overpowered flash will penetrate and reflect off of the blood in the capillaries creating a reddish tone in skin highlights (been there; done that). By dropping power level, the duration increases to maintain exposure but in my experience the result is not as harsh with the reddish highlights.

Any situation with flash very close to subject material is a candidate for an ND over the flash head to drop it's guide number.

-- John