RE: [OM] E6 Home processing

Subject: RE: [OM] E6 Home processing
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:15:11 -0700
Hi Tim,

Heck, it was *years* ago. I did it mostly for fun. Anyway, I already had the
developing tanks for doing B&W... a standard stainless steel tank that held
one flex-it-in type film reel and a plastic tank with an oscillate-it-in
type reel. Ditto the thermometer and the timer. The water bath consisted of
placing everything in an old used dish-pan in the laundry sink. No changing
bag, I used a closet. Opened the film canisters with a church key. Tanks are
cheap, however, certainly only about $20-$25 for a plastic two-reeler.

All I had to buy was the chemistry set and the mounts. Cardboard mounts are
something like $30/1000 at B&H. The Kodak "Single-use" E-6 kit is now $60.90
at B&H (but not shippable) and makes 5 liters of solutions. Kodak says use
235ml of solution / two rolls of 135-36 ektachrome. So that's something like
40 rolls of film (unless I've dropped a decimal point somewhere) per kit. So
we're talking something like $1.75/roll including the mounts?

Only thing I see is a problem is Kodak says shelf-life of unused, already
mixed chemistry in the newer, simplified kits is only ONE WEEK. sheesh.
Looks like you can extend that by mixing only what you'll use in one go,
however. I'd mix up 500ml at a crack and do four rolls per session, in that
case.

So... looks cost effective if you either shoot a fair amount of film or if a
couple of people get together to do it. Around here, one roll of slides
commercially processed is typically about $8, although I know it can be
substantially cheaper with prepaid mailers.

---
Scott