Re: [OM] Quick Question no.2 - storage of prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Question no.2 - storage of prints
From: john.oregan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:24:55 +0100
jon asked

Any thoughts on the above 3 systems I've seen and tried, or on any other
systems you use, greatly appreciated.

I've used both 'Sticky Pages' and Clear Plastic pages with slots.

The Sticky Pages were quite expensive in order to get acceptable quality,
although there were some cheap versions available. Now, 15-25 years later,
the prints are fading and discolouring and the stickiness is disappearing.
Prints are tending to fall out if the pages are not viewed flat on a table.
I guess the fading etc of prints is due to normal aging as dicussed in a
recent thread.

I have recently (2 years ago) changed to clear plastic pages, Arrow File,
as sold by Flash Foto (sic) in the UK. These have the advantage that you
can store the negatives with the pictures. The pages are acid-free,
PVC-free and Museum approved (V&A, so they say). A single album with 480
6x4 prints (60 pages) takes just 2 inches of shelf space. But you need
shelves that are 12 inch high. I would guess you could also get suspension
filing accessories too. Pages cost 14GBP for 50 and there are many
different page layouts to chose from.

I've never used a 'traditional' open album myself, but I've inherited my
parents' 1935-50 photo album and the principal problem has been photographs
damaged by overenthusiastic children. Apart from that, the B&W images have
survived a lot better than my own colour pics from the 70s.

JohnOR