RE: [OM] Following discussion of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: RE: [OM] Following discussion of discontinuing of the OM series
From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:33:54 -0500
Support is non-existent for digital cameras.  A colleague of mine had a
Coolpix 990 and after a year and a half needed a repair.  Cost too much so
be bought another camera.  Nobody could fix it, unlike a film camera.  I am
not so sure the GENERAL public is going to fall into this trap.

My prediction is that the HARD CORE minority of photographers (like those on
this list) will upgrade from time-to-time.  The general user though, will
use digital cameras mainly for email and still use film for photo albums.

Not until everyone can afford and figure out a GOOD digital printer.  There
are many digital cameras on my street, but I am the only one that can print
well (I do not charge though, except for materials).  This is the GENERAL
user, and this is why the digcam companies cannot make money on the P&Ss.
Digital cameras will not come completely mainstream until the GENERAL user
can EASILY get long-lasting prints (not everyone knows the difference
between Epson Matte paper and Premium Luster photo paper).  For the average
joe (or joelene) nothing is easier that dropping off film, it is just not as
quick.

It will be those who buy into the DSLRs and the lenses needed that will be
the money makers for the companies.

-Bill