[OM] XA problems; Why can't digital cameras be more like film cameras?

Subject: [OM] XA problems; Why can't digital cameras be more like film cameras?
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:01:43 -0800
If a new cell doesn't fix the problem, I'd suggest simply buying a used XA
on eBay. It won't cost much more than having yours repaired.

The XA cameras are simple and reliable. I've bought a dozen on eBay, and
every one worked. In fact, I have one that's almost 20 years old and was
immersed in fresh water. Once it fully dried out, it worked properly.

We've been jabbering about what we want to see in a digital camera. I'd like
one that works more like a film camera.

My D-620L tends to underexpose (ie, I don't like the default exposure). To
increase the exposure, I have to navigate the menu, because Olympus was too
cheap to put an exposure-compensation dial on the camera. When you consider
that "pro" digicams aren't any smaller than 35mm cameras, there's no excuse
for not duplicating the "important" film-camera controls.