Re: RE: [OM] [semi-OT] Hand-held scanners?

Subject: Re: RE: [OM] [semi-OT] Hand-held scanners?
From: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:29:58 -0800
10/29/2002 8:31:10 AM, "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Hewlett-Packard's Photo Scanner 1000, which retails for
>> around $80.00 U.S., takes up to 4x6 prints at 300 dpi, weighs
>> 1 pound, and has dimensions of 9.9 x 6.6 x 1.8 inches.  It
>> uses USB 2.0FS (high-amperage, 500ma),
>
> Now, that sounds almost perfect, except for the power issue; firstly
>because I don't think the USB port on this laptop's USB2.0, and secondly
>because even if it was I doubt it'd supply half an amp, what with being a
>laptop and all. I suppose there's always the powered hub option there; seems
>worth looking into this, certainly.

500mA, not half amp :) all USB sockets are rated for 500mA continous out of the
box, if you have a device that needs more, you have to get external powered
socket. the USB is there just for data
transfer, not to power the scanner, i'm certain that has its own power cord.

/S
--
"We apologise for the inconvenience."