RE: [OM] Trip recomendations in general?

Subject: RE: [OM] Trip recomendations in general?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:10:19 -0700
> Is the whole trip 10 days or 10 days just in Hawaii???

 10 days is just in hawaii; about three weeks getting to there, two weeks on
boat, some as-yet-undefined number of months in NZ before starting the
return leg.

> Anyway, be
> that as it may, I guess you don't believe in traveling light with
> your photo equipment.  Looks like you are carrying a LOT of stuff
> all over the Pacific rim.  I'd cut the equipment list at least in
> half to simplify your life.

 Yeah, I realised that part -- but the thing is that I'm going to be going
on to a bunch of places afterwards, so I don't want to end up getting to NZ
and thinking "ooh, now I want a 17mm lens again", and re-buying one down
there when I'm relatively settled.

> Portland is not "along the coast", it is close to it, but about an
> hour's drive inland.  I'd recommend going along the Columbia River
> Gorge.  See the waterfalls along the way.  Climb to the top of the
> Multnomah Fall, climb the Beakon Rock, drive out to the Salmon
> hatchery, etc..  Of course, the Oregon coast is also very beautiful.

 Thanks! I've been to very limited bits of the States, and while guidebooks
are a starting point, they're nothing like the same as people who actually
know things themselves.

> Depending on which route the bus takes.  This part could be very
> boring, and LONG.  Are you sure you wouldn't want to fly from
> Portland down to LA?  Airfare is only about $40/person, not much
> more than bus tickets.

 Really? Where? Looking on orbitz.com, they start at $203/person;
travelocity at $210, cheaptickets.com, $205/person. If there's somewhere I'm
not looking that I should be, I'd love to know about it -- I've just looked
on the 'big name' sites thus far.

 Greyhound does, indeed, take a day and a half (and that's assuming we never
get off the bus), but it's $69/person.

> And you save a lot of time.  But if the bus
> takes the "coastal" route, you may be able to take in San Francisco
> and the Bay Area.  Otherwise you will be going strictly in the
> central valley of California and it is all farmland and dry grass.

 Checking, the routing's (assuming I'm guessing which ones are the main
stops correctly) Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Eugene, Medford, Redding,
Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, LA.  Definitely along the middle
of California, now that I check on a map. Hmm.

 In some ways, I don't really mind going through the less scenic bits -- as
long as it's somewhere I haven't been before, I'm happy..

> It is made up of several islands.  So when you say you are going
> to "Hawaii", it is like saying "I'm going to Calgary".  It would
> help a little if you are more specific about where you are
> visiting.

 Sorry, I should have thought of that, of course. We'll be in a hostel in
Waikiki for the first 10 days; from there, the boat stops off at Lahaina on
Maui for a couple of days, and Hilo for one day before it heads off to the
emptier bits of the Pacific.

 -- dan